Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Claim Council Tax Reduction

How to get help with your council tax and who can claim.

Who can claim

You can claim 'council tax reduction' if you receive a council tax bill for the property you live in, and the bill is in your name or joint names with someone else.  

You won't be able to claim if:

  • you are pension age and you and any partner have over £16,000 in savings (unless you receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit Savings Credit)
  • you are working age and you and any partner have more than £16,000 in savings. 

Use our benefits calculator to work out what you are entitled to.

How to apply

You can make a claim online.

The best way to do this is to create an online account with us. Once you have done this, you will be able to make a claim through your account, and track its progress from start to finish.

To continue completing a form without creating an account, click on the button below. If you apply this way you will not be able to track the progress of your claim. 

Providing Evidence

When applying for council tax reduction you may need to provide evidence to support the application.

The fastest and most effective way to add evidence to your claim is to upload it to the form. You can add it at the time of completing the form OR save the form and return to it to add the evidence needed before submitting. If you save the form make sure you take note of your reference number so you can return to the saved version.

 View our guide to getting and adding evidence to support your application. [2MB]

Need help?

If you need help completing the claim form, and would like someone to go through this with you, contact Citizens Advice.

They will be able to offer you an appointment at one of their offices in LeekCheadle or Biddulph.

Second Adult Rebate

Second Adult Rebate is a form of Council Tax Reduction for people of pension age. Single people in a household are awarded a 25% discount off their Council Tax bill. If you don't get this discount because a dependant adult lives with you, you may be entitled to Second Adult Rebate.

Find out more about Second Adult Rebate