Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Working-age income banded scheme

The aim of the new scheme is to make the amount of support customers receive more stable month-to-month. The scheme also offers those on the lowest incomes up to 100% discount on their council tax bill.

From the 1st April 2023 we have introduced a banding scheme for working aged customers. If you have less than £10,000 capital,  you can apply.

How does the new scheme work? 

The scheme works by placing your weekly income into a band.

If your income changes but it remains in the same band, the amount of support you get won't change. The amount of support only changes if the income you receive changes and moves you into another income band.

This should make it easier for customers to budget as they will know what support they will get from month to month. 

2024/2025 income bands



Single Person  

person with one child

with two or more children


Couple with one child

with two or more children

Weekly income ranges

Band 1*


£0 - £100.00

£0 - £182.00

£0 -


£0 -£230.00

£0 -

Band 2


£100.01 - £150.00

£182.01 -£232.00

£262.01 - £312.00

£150.01 - £200.00

£230.01 -

£310.01 -£360.00 

Band 3


£150.01 -£200.00

£232.01 - £282.00



£200.01 -£250.00

£280.01 -


£360.01 -£410.00

Band 4


£200.01 - £250.00

£282.01 - £332.00

£362.01 -


£330.01 -

£410.01 -£460.00



Over £250.00

Over £320.00

Over £412.00

Over £300.00

Over £380.00

Over £460.00 

What does it mean for claimants?

If you claim council tax support, when you receive your new bill it will tell you what support you are receiving, based on your income and household make-up.

When we calculate your income to work out your band, we will not take into consideration the following:

  • Carers Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance additional components
  • Non-dependent deductions
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Universal Credit Carer Element
  • Universal Credit Disabled Child Element
  • Universal Credit Housing Element
  • War Widows/Widowers and War Disablement Pensions

If you are receiving Universal Credit we will deduct the following elements from your Universal Credit award:

  • Universal Credit Carer Element
  • Universal Credit Disabled Child Element
  • Universal Credit Housing Element
  • Universal Credit Child Care Element.

In addition residents:

  • who are in work will have up to £25 disregarded from their earned income (per household).
  • who claim a disability benefit will receive an £50 disregard from their income (per household).
  • in the lowest income band will be eligible for 100% discount on their bill
  • who forget to claim will now be able to have their claim backdated up to six months.

A change in income or circumstances will take effect from the date a change happens, rather than the following Monday.

We will also no longer issue a separate award letter, as your bill will show you what reduction you have received.

What if the support I have received has gone down?

If your council tax support drops as a result of the new scheme and you are facing exceptional financial hardship as a result, you will be able to apply to our exceptional hardship fund.

You will need to supply evidence to support your application which is detailed in the form. Please send your completed form and upload the evidence

Check if you're eligible and apply for council tax support

You can claim 'council tax reduction' if you receive a council tax bill for the property you live in, and the bill is in your name or joint names with someone else. 

Use our benefits calculator to work out what you are entitled to.

You can apply online by clicking in the button below.

  • The application will take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete. 
  • You will need to have your personal and income details in order to complete the form.
  • Please upload any evidence when you complete the form as this will speed up the processing of your claim.
  • You will need an email address to complete the form and you may be contacted by email if we require any further information