Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Temporary event notice (TEN)

This authority would expect that anyone planning to hold an event will adhere to the current Government guidelines and restrictions with regards to number of attendees, social distancing and any other restrictions in place at the time of the event. 

It may be that you will be asked to supply a COVID 19 Risk Assessment with any application.  You should also read the Staffordshire Prepared letter for Event Planners prior to organising your event.

Staffordshire Prepared Joint letter for Event planners [463KB]

When do I need a TEN?

TEN's can be applied for to permit temporary licensable activities, either in a premises or outside in an open space.  Also see our Events in Public Places webpage for information. 

Licensable activities include:

You may also require a street trading consent if you are trading at an outdoor event, market, festival etc.

How often can I apply for a TEN?

A personal licence holder will be able to give a TEN in relation to licensable activities on up to 50 occasions in a year. If you don't hold a personal licence the limit is 5 per year.

Premises are subject to the limitation of 15 TENs in anyone year with a maximum of 21 days total. Anyone applying for a TEN must be aged 18 or over.

Standard TENs

To apply for a standard TEN you must apply no later than 10 working days before the event is due to take place (this doesn't include the day the TEN is received by us).

If there are no representations from the Police or Environmental Health (which they must do within 3 working days of receiving) your notification will automatically be authorised. The council can refuse if the notification is out of time or if the number of TENs allowed for a premises or individual is surpassed within a 12 month period. In certain circumstances conditions may be added to a TEN by the licensing committee. The copy of the notification that you send to us will be endorsed as authorised and this should be displayed at the event or produced upon request.

Late TENs

The application is the same as a standard TEN (including the application form), but you must apply no later than 5 working days before the event which doesn't include the day the notification is received by us or the day of the event.

A non-personal licence holder may give up to two per year (that counts towards their 5) and personal licence holders may give up to ten (that counts towards their 50).

If the Police or Environmental Health Department object then the event will not be permitted to go ahead.

How to apply

Application for a TEN cost's £21

If you are applying by post please be aware we cannot accept cash. Payment can be made by cheque with the notification or via our contact centre.


Apply online for your Temporary Event Notice GOV.UK

If you apply online you DO NOT need to send duplicate copies of the application form to the council, the police or environmental health.

By Post

Temporary Event Notice application form [61KB]

If you apply by post you will need to send 2 copies of the application form and the fee of £21 to the council (1 for the attention of Licensing and 1 for Environmental Health). You must also post a copy of the application form to the police.

Council address: P.O Box 136, Buxton, SK17 1AQ 
Police address:  Staffordshire Police Licensing, Early Intervention and Prevention Unit, Block 9 Ground Floor, Weston Road, Stafford, Staffordshire ST18 0YY


In the event that a standard TEN is objected to by the Police or Environmental Health then the licensing sub-committee may be required to determine whether the event may go ahead. An objection submitted by the police or Environmental Health should relate to one or more of the licensing objectives being undermined. The licensing objectives set out by the Licensing Act 2003 are:

  1. the prevention of crime and disorder
  2. public safety
  3. prevention of public nuisance
  4. the protection of children from harm

However, in the event of a late TEN being objected to there is no case for appeal.


    If you do not have a TEN and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one) you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.