Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Apply for a new vehicle licence

You must have a vehicle licence to operate a private hire or hackney carriage vehicle. 

Application process for a new vehicle or renewal

Application Process for Private Hire Vehicle [65KB]

Application Process for Hackney Carriage Vehicle [64KB]


Taxi licensing fees and chages can be found here.

The council will consider applications for dispensation from displaying plates in certain circumstances. Please refer to appendix N of the councils  Taxi Licensing Policy [791KB]  for full details. 

If your plates are lost or stolen there is a £10 fee for replacement plates.

How to apply

You will need to complete an application form, and will need to bring the following information in to the council offices:

  • a valid insurance certificate
  • the registration document of the vehicle if it hasn't been licensed before
  • the correct fee for 12 months
  • a valid MOT from an approved MOT testing centre. The MOT must be no more than 1 month old at the time of application.

Vehicle inspections

Contact one of the following local garages to arrange a test -

SB Autos, Leek

Moorlands Garage Services

Knypersley Test Centre

Cheadle Test Centre

Your responsibilities

We will only accept applications that have the appropriate documentation with them. You are responsible for providing any evidence that is requested on the application form, and for making sure that your vehicle has been inspected in the relevant time frame.