Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Apply for a premise licence

What a premise licence is needed for and who can apply and how.

Who needs to apply

You'll need a premises licence if you want to sell alcohol or serve hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am. A premise licence doesn't have an expiry date, it is in effect until it is revoked, suspended or handed in.

An individual (over the age of 18), business or partnership can apply.

All premises authorising the sale of alcohol must identify a person who has responsibility for the day to day running of the premises. This person is known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) a consent form will need to be completed. There is an exception is for community premises in respect of which a successful application has been made to display the usual mandatory conditions.

You'll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

How much it costs

Premises licence fee on GOV.UK

How to apply

Apply online for your Premises Licence

How to vary

How to vary or transfer your licence

How to vary or remove a DPS from a premises licence.

Interim Authority Application - Premises

When the holder of a licence dies suddenly or becomes bankrupt or mentally incapable, an "interim authority" notice may be given to the licensing authority. This must be submitted within seven days of the end of the previous license.

The notice may be given by a person who has an interest in the premises concerned or is connected to the former holder of the premises licence. For the purposes of an Interim Authority a person has a prescribed interest if:

  • the former holder has died and that person is their personal representative
  • the former holder has become mentally incapable and that person acts for him/her under a power of attorney
  • the former holder has become insolvent and that person is his/her insolvency practitioner

Interim Authority application form [86KB]