Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Animal licensing and pet shops

Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 - Changes to animal licensing laws

Due to the current legislation being repealed as of the 1 October 2018 no new licence application will be accepted or issued under the current legislation. Applicants wishing to apply for licensable activities under the Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 should contact us

Please note - If you have an existing licence with the authority this will remain in place and we will contact you individually to discuss the new requirements.

Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 - Guidance [136KB]

Animal Welfare Regulations 2018

Information and guidance on the new Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 as set out by DEFRA

Dogs and cats boarding

You need a licence to run a business providing accommodation for cats or dogs

Dog breeding

You need a license if you breed and sell dogs

Dangerous and wild animals

If you own or keep one or more animals listed within the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 then this animal must be licensed with us

Pet shop licence

To run a business where animals are sold as pets, you need to apply for a licence

Horse riding establishments

To run a riding establishment within the area, you will need to apply to us for a licence

Zoo licence

To run a zoo you need a licence