Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Empty property discount

Empty properties

If a property that you own is unoccupied and subtianlly unfurnished, you don't have to pay council tax. This discount is valid for a maximum of 3 months. Following this a full charge is payable on the property.

If the property has previously had the discount it can't be applied again, even if a new owner or occupier moves in.

Uninhabitable properties

The Uninhabitable Property discount is granted to properties which are unoccupied, unfurnished and requiring or undergoing major repairs or structural alterations.

You may be entitled to a 50% discount for a maximum period of 12 months. 

Please provide all relevant evidence confirming works carried out with your application. Without it, the application won't be considered. You will be able to upload evidence using the online form below.

Examples of evidence required:

  • invoices relating to work carried out
  • photographs
  • receipts
  • estate agents details
  • surveyor's reports

This list above contains examples; there are no specific pieces of evidence we require, but we must be satisfied that the property is uninhabitable.

Long Term Empty Property Premium

Properties that have been unoccupied for more than 2 years are subject to an additional premium of 50%. This will result in a Council Tax charge of 150%. We may be able to refer you to someone who can give you advice about bringing your property back into use.

If you have had to leave your property due to illness, or to provide care

Residents that have moved to nursing or residential homes or long stay hospital wards may be exempt from paying Council Tax. This may also apply if you have moved away to receive care due to old age, disablement or illness, or to provide care for someone else.

If a property is left empty when someone dies

An exemption may be applied until probate (official proving of a will) or letters of administration are granted and for up to 6 months after this if the property remains unoccupied. 

How to apply for a discount or exemption

The best way to apply for a discount, is to open an account with us. Once you have an account, you'll be able to track the progress of your application, and receive e-mail updates along the way. You'll also be able to view your council tax account online. If you already have an account with us, you can sign in using the button below too.

To continue without an account, click on the link below. Please note that you will not be able to track the progress of your request if you apply in this way.