Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Non dependents

People (non-dependants) who live with you may affect your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

If you have someone living with you that is over 18, they are classed as a 'non dependent' as they're expected to contribute towards the costs of housing and council tax. 

They could be relatives, friends, or children that have turned 18. We'll take set amounts off your benefit based on their income.

We don't make non-dependent deductions if:

  • you get the care component of disability living allowance or daily living component of personal independence payment or
  • you are blind
  • you get attendance allowance
  • the non-dependent is a full time student
  • the non-dependent is getting pension credit
  • the non-dependent is receiving certain types of state benefits