Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Other rate reliefs

Other reliefs that are available and how to apply for them.

Partly occupied property relief

If a property is partly occupied for a short time, we have the discretion in certain cases to award relief in respect of the unoccupied part of the building.

If you are only using part of a building for your business, contact us with the details and we'll contact you to let you know if you are entitled to any relief.

Running a community amateur sports club (CASC)

Registered CASCs are entitled to mandatory relief from business rates on any non-domestic property that is mainly used for the purposes of the club. This is usually in the form of an 80% discount.

If you think you might be entitled to this discount, contact us us with the details.

Reduction/remission on the grounds of hardship

We have the power to reduce or remit the amount a person pays towards their rates where it is satisfied that:

  • paying rates would mean the business would 'sustain hardship', for example, staff redundancies or closure
  • if it is in the interest of local council tax payers to remit the rates

This will only be granted in exceptional circumstances and you must provide 2 years worth of trading accounts to prove why your rates should be reduced.

If this affects you, please contact us with as much detail as possible.

Further information about business rates reliefs can be found here