Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Home Adaptations and Aids for Disabled People

There is a range of options available which may make you and/or your carer's everyday life much easier and safer.  These can range from small things such as jar openers, grab sticks, long handled shoe horns, talking clocks or personal alarms to larger home adaptations such as a stair lift, extension or a level access shower.

What are Disabled Facilities Grants?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is funding to help a disabled person adapt their home to make it easier and safer to live in.

The works must be necessary and appropriate.  This will need to be discussed between the disabled person and an Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor.

It must also be reasonable and practicable to carry out the works - this often depends on the age, condition and layout of the property.

Works commonly include facilitating access to the property itself or within the property to bathing facilities, bedrooms, kitchens and gardens  

Who can apply?

You must be either the owner or tenant of the property.

If the adaptations are for a child, you can arrange for an assessment by contacting Children and Families Services at Staffordshire County Council Tel: 0800 1313 126 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm) or email

If the adaptations are for an adult, you should contact Staffordshire County Council via the following:

Website: Staffordshire County Council. (

Phone 0300 111 8010 to speak to an Advisor.

Text/SMS (for people with a hearing impairment) Tel: 07814 194 111.

Minicom users Tel: 01785 276207.

If the OT supports your application, they will send a referral to the Councils Service Provider Millbrook Healthcare Ltd

Millbrook Healthcare will manage the entire process for you from beginning to end, which enables vulnerable, older and disabled people to adapt their homes to protect and enhance their independent living with complete peace of mind.

If you would like to contact Millbrook Healthcare Ltd please see details below:

Website: Millbrook Healthcare Ltd .( )


Phone 0330 1247 077.

If you live in a social rented property, you should speak to your landlord first as sometimes they can make adaptations as part of their planned maintenance to the property.  You may also need their permission to proceed with any works.