Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Starting and registering a food business

What to do if you're starting a food business

All food business operators must register their establishments under the EC regulations. 

Some businesses may be subject to approval, these include those handling and producing items such as dairy, fish, eggs and meat products.  See our Approved food premises page for further information.

Who needs to register

You must register a food business if you are:

  • selling or cooking food
  • storing or handling food
  • preparing food
  • distributing food

Registering a food business premises

Every premise that carries out food operations should be registered; this includes your home, mobile catering vans and temporary premises.

You will need to ensure that you have a Food safety Management System in operation.

Food handlers should ideally be trained to at least Level 2 food safety or be able to answer questions to an inspecting officer to that level.

Please do not hesitate to contact Environmental Health if you need any further guidance. In some cases an advisory visit may be available.

More information and help when setting up a food business can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.

 Viewing the register

The register is a public document, if you wish to view it please contact Environmental Health.