Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Suffering with a mental illness or impairment and threatened with homelessness

The Council's housing advice team seeks to ensure that the early identification of housing problems takes place to hopefully prevent you from becoming homeless.

This will be achieved through partnership work and multi-agency working to prevent you from becoming homeless, through the necessary support you may require.

On the basis that you are suffering from a mental illness or impairment the council will consider whether you may be vulnerable and therefore in 'priority need'.

We will provide information about the advice and advocacy services available to you and provide detail of outreach support services and supported accommodation options according to your needs through the Personal Housing Plan that will be completed with you.

If you need housing advice assistance and support with your housing needs, please contact the housing advice team.

Useful contacts

Single Point of Access The Access Team is the single point of contact and access for services. It provides 24/7 cover for all mental health services across Stoke-on-Trent and North Staffordshire. Mental health assessments, crisis support, telephone contact or face-to-face. Tel: 0300 123 0907 (option 1) or 07739 775202 if this number is unavailable

Rethink support and supported accommodation (in Cheadle, Biddulph & Leek) Tel 0121 522 7007

Drop in Centres for people with mental health issues (include one to one community support, peer support groups, volunteering and education opportunities)

Pennybank House, Leek Tel: 01538 399950 / 387387

Holbrook House, Cheadle Tel: 01538 754246

The Lyme Trust offer supported accommodation for people living with mental health problems (Newcastle-under-Lyme)

Tel: 01782 634510,  Email:

NHS North Staffordshire Wellbeing Service based in Eaton House, Stockwell Street, Leek (provides counselling, CBT,other forms of psychotherapy,couples therapy, physical rehab therapy, range of effective talking therapies for common problems such as depression, anxiety and chronic physical health problems)Tel: 01782 711651

Staffordshire Mental Health Helpline Those feeling concerned, worried, stressed or low, offers a call service evenings and weekends to offer support when other services are closed.

Tel: 0808 800 2234 7pm - 2am weekdays and 2pm - 2am weekends.

Asist Advocacy provide independent advocacy services in Staffordshire. Advocacy is when one person helps another to have their views, opinions and concerns heard by others. Advocacy services help to enable people who have difficulty speaking out to speak up and make their own, informed, independent choices about decisions that affect their lives. Support is one-to-one, issue based for people with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and/or mental health issues. Tel: 01782 845584  Email:

MIND Free counselling, anger management, befriending and parent support. Tel: 01782 262 100 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)

Samaritans Telephone support and online support Tel: 116 123 24/7

ECHO (insert hyperlink)support and information for people who have experienced self-harm or eating disorders. Echo offers a range of alternative therapies, workshops and an art group every week in a welcoming social space. Tel: 07500 444116