Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Voting by post or proxy

To vote in the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for the Staffordshire police area, Staffordshire County Council, Leekfrith Neighbourhood Plan Referendum and Cheadle North East and Cheadle South East District By-elections on 6 May 2021 you must be registered to vote by Monday 19 April 2021. Registering to vote is easy and takes just a few minutes. If you have already registered to vote you won't need to do it again.

Postal vote applications must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 20 April 2021. Proxy vote applications must be received by 5pm on Tuesday 27 April 2021. 

Information on returning a postal vote for the upcoming elections once it has been received

Once you have received your postal vote form please complete it and return to the council as soon as possible. If you are concerned about returning it in time you may wish to use one of Royal Mails 35,000 Priority Post Boxes. These boxes have late collection times, with 98% of them having a collection time of after 4:00pm. In many cases these Priority Post Boxes will also have an earlier collection as well. Please visit to find details of where you can find Priority Post Boxes in your area. 

Voting by post or proxy

Postal voting gives you the option of voting by post rather than visiting a polling station.

A proxy is where you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf either at your polling station or by post. If you want to appoint a proxy you'll need to provide a reason why, for example, you're on holiday or in hospital.

To apply to vote by post or proxy download a generic application form here.

Cancelling a postal or proxy vote

If you need to cancel your postal / proxy vote, you need to contact us either by e-mail or in writing.

  • By e-mail:
  • In writing: Elections, Staffordshire Moorlands District Council, Moorlands House, Stockwell Street, Leek, ST13 6HQ

Overseas Electors

If you are a British citizen living abroad you can apply to be an overseas voter.

You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections. If you were too young to register when you left the UK you can still register as an overseas voter. You can do this if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK as long as you left the UK no more than 15 years ago.