Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

What we need from you

Businesses operating from a commercial site or premises within the Staffordshire Moorlands need to be registered with the council. 

Business Rates

If you own or lease a commercial, you'll be liable for Business Rates. Some people qualify for 'Small Business Rates Relief' and may not have to pay, but we still need to hear from you.  


Commercial premises are given 'use classes' which means certain types of businesses can operate without applying for planning permission.  To change from one use class to another, you may need to submit a planning application (Change of Use). You might also need planning permission for A-boards and external signage.


You may need to be registered with our Licensing section depending on the type of business you operate. We license a variety of businesses, such as food and alcohol premises as well as tattoo/piercing shops and animal boarding businesses. If you have live entertainment or if you trade outside, we may also need to know.

Commercial waste 

By law, all businesses must be able to prove their waste has been passed to a registered waste carrier or has been taken it to a licensed waste site. You must have a commercial waste collection in place and if you can't prove this, you could be fined.