Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Starting and registering a food business

What to do if you're starting a food and/or drink business

All food and drink business operators MUST register their premises with us by law. This includes businesses operating from home, a mobile unit or a temporary premises such as a stall or van.

Anyone found running a food and/or drink business who hasn't registered could be fined or imprisoned for up to 2 years - Don't risk it, make sure you resister below so we can help and guide you through the process.

Some businesses may be subject to approval, these include those handling and producing items such as dairy, fish, eggs and meat products.  See our Approved food premises page for further information.

Who needs to register

You must register a food business if you are:

  • selling or cooking food and/or drink
  • storing or handling food and/or drink
  • preparing food and/or drink
  • distributing food and/or drink

Registering a food business premises

You will need to ensure that you have a Food safety Management System in operation.

Food handlers should ideally be trained to at least Level 2 food safety or be able to answer questions to an inspecting officer to that level.

Please do not hesitate to contact Environmental Health if you need any further guidance. In some cases an advisory visit may be available.

More information and help when setting up a food business can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.

Viewing the register

The register is a public document, if you wish to view it please contact Environmental Health.