Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Sickness benefit

If you're ill or disabled and can't work, you might be entitled to financial help

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you're ill or disabled, you may be entitled to claim ESA if you're unable to work. You can apply for ESA if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed.

Find out more about ESA on GOV.UK

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you're an employee and you can't work because you are ill, you might be able get Statutory Sick Pay. This is paid by your employer and can usually be paid for up to 28 weeks.

Find out more about SSP on GOV.UK