Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Low income household discount

If you are on a low income you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction. The amount of reduction you are entitled to depends on your income, your circumstances and the amount of council tax you pay.


You can claim a Council Tax Reduction if you

  • are responsible for paying the council tax bill
  • have a low income from benefits or work, including self employment
  • have savings of less than £16,000.

However you may still get a Council Tax Reduction if your savings are more than £16,000 and you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

Who isn't eligible

You can't get Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you and any partner have joint savings or investments of more than £16,000
  • you're a foreign national subject to immigration control

If you think you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction and either want more information or to claim, please apply immediately, as we can only give benefit for a past period in special circumstances.

Claim Council Tax Reduction