Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

What you need to get UC ready

Before making a claim, you need to gather the following information and have it ready:

  • your postcode
  • ​your National Insurance number
  • details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • details of your savings or other capital
  • details of any income that's not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
  • details of any other benefits you're getting

​You might also need these details for people who live in your home, e.g. your partner.

If you're already getting housing benefit

You don't need to do anything. You'll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.


Universal Credit will usually be paid monthly in arrears to one person in the household. 

Payment information on GOV.UK