Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Public House Relief

Occupied public houses with a rateable value of less than £100,000 may be eligible for up to £1,000 relief on their business rates bill for 2017-18.

This relief will continue for qualifying properties in 2018/19

To qualify, the public house needs to:

  • have a rateable value of less than £100,000
  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar.

For these purposes, it doesn't include:

  • restaurants                                       
  • cafes
  • nightclubs
  • hotels
  • snack bars
  • guesthouses
  • boarding houses
  • sporting venues
  • festival sites
  • theatre's
  • museums
  • exhibition halls
  • cinemas
  • concert halls
  • casinos

As with all reliefs, the amount of relief awarded under the public house relief scheme will be recalculated in the event of a change of circumstances such as a change to the rateable value.

We have identified those pubs that are independently owned or managed and relief has been awarded and amended bills issued. If the pub is part of a chain you can still apply online for relief up to State Aid limits.

The award of this relief must comply with EU law on State Aid.