Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

A family member has moved into a nursing home

If there is someone remaining in the property

If a spouse, or relative has moved into a nursing home or long stay hospital, if there is only one liable person remaining in the property, they will be entitled to a 25% discount. This only applies if the move is permanent and the resident will not be in a position to return home.

The best way to apply for a discount is through our Staffs Moorlands 'My Account' service. Registration is easy, and means that you can track the progress of your request from start to finish. Simply click on the button below! If you already have an account with us, you can also log in here

To report a change without an account, click on the button below. Please note that you won't be able to track the progress of your request OR view bills online if you choose this method.   

If the property becomes empty

If the sole occupant of a property is moving into a nursing home on a permanent basis, their property will be exempt from council tax.

We will need to know:

  • who has moved into a hospital or home
  • when they moved
  • the address that the exemption applies to
  • the address of the nursing home
  • details for the person that is dealing with correspondence

Please send details to us using our contact form.