Toggle Mobile Menu Visibility
Toggle Search Controls Visibility
Toggle search control visibility
Search Site

Energy Rebate

We will not be phoning or sending texts to ask for bank details to pay the energy rebate.

Should you receive such a request please report it to Action Fraud.

Over 90% of households have now claimed and been paid the £150.00 energy rebate. The remaining households identified as eligible, where an application has not been received, will shortly have the £150.00 energy rebate paid to their Council Tax account. As this scheme closes on the 30th September 2022, we are doing this to ensure that everyone entitled to the payment benefits from this scheme. Once the rebate has been applied to a Council Tax account, it will reduce the amount payable for the current financial year 2022/2023 and a revised bill showing the reduced monthly payments will be issued.

Where we apply the rebate to a Council Tax account and it puts the balance into credit due to:

  • The balance outstanding was less than £150
  • No council tax is payable due to the receipt of full benefit
  • No council tax is payable due to the award of an exemption

We will contact the household and discuss how we can refund the credit.


Your property must meet the following criteria on 1 April 2022.

  • valued in Council Tax bands A to D. This includes property that's valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, because of the Disabled Band Reduction scheme
  • the property must be occupied and used as someone's sole or main residence
  • you are exempt from paying Council Tax because
    • you are a student
    • you are under 18
    • you have a severe mental impairment
    • you have an annex occupied by a dependant relative

If your property meets all the criteria but has a nil Council Tax liability because of the household receiving full Council Tax Reduction, you will still be eligible for the rebate.

You will not be eligible for the rebate if:

  • the property has no-one living there permanently and is a second home
  • the property is unoccupied
  • the liable party for Council Tax at the property is:
  • a company or corporate body
  • a local authority
  • a housing association
  • the government or a government body

Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme

The Government have also provided funding to help those people in need of support with the increase in energy prices, who are not eligible to claim the payment under the main scheme.

In order to be eligible for the discretionary payment, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • Your property band falls between bands E to H
  • You are in receipt of Local Council tax Reduction or one of the following Income Based Benefits - Universal Credit, Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Based Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit
  • You are in receipt  of a Council Tax carer or severely mentally impaired reduction
  • You live in a House of Multiple Occupation where you are not liable for Council Tax but are responsible for paying the energy costs for your property
  • Your property is in bands F to H and you are in receipt of a Disabled Band Reduction